Lola Top, Victory Patterns

Winter top sewn in the summer!!!!

I really do know it is the start of summer, so why am I sewing a winter top, you ask?  Well, it is because I always have more to do than time, and I am a teeny bit behind on some projects I wanted to accomplish.  I found the Lola top while I was perusing the www.Lladybird.com website. I fell in love with this top as I really like casual clothes with design lines to flatter the figure. I am 5'2". Any way, I received the Lola Victory pattern and couldn't wait to test  it out.

I made a mockup (or prototype) of the new pattern to see how it fits. The only pattern alteration I made to start out was shortening the bottom portion of the pattern. I omitted the pockets also. I usually test out a pattern by making alterations in length to see how the rest of the pattern fits me. The first Lola top I made I found the neckline really wide, and I needed to make an adjustment to the neckline. Here is a picture of the neckline after alteration. 

Neckline after alteration.

Neckline after alteration.

So the second Lola top I sewed, I used a fabric from Hancock fabrics. It was sort of a pontine fabric. The hand was nice, and it draped well. I took the neckline in. Now the neckline felt right, not too wide, and is comfortable for me. This is the only pattern alteration I made to the pattern besides taking off the band around the bottom. After wearing the top a bunch of times in my sewing classes, the top around the abdomen rubbed up against the cutting table and left pills across the front of the top. Major bummer.

I really liked the color combination of grey and cream which Lladybird used, and so my third top is the gray and cream. I did leave off the pockets this time just for a different look. The fabric came from I believe Nature's Fabric. Since I bought the fabric over a year ago, I can't remember where I bought it, but I know Natures's Fabric has wonderful fabrics, so I think it was from their online store. The neckline and wrist binding were purchased from Hancock Fabrics. I will wear this top a lot starting in the fall. My husband even likes it! 

After taking pictures of the top, I noticed the back is way too long for me. See how there is excess fabric.  Oh man, I didn't notice that.  It is amazing what a picture will show.  So the next top I make I will be making an alteration to the back bodice by shortening it by the excess amount. 

The back of the top is way too long for my upper body. See all the wrinkles. I need to adjust the pattern (take some of the length out), and the top will fit better in the back.

The back of the top is way too long for my upper body. See all the wrinkles. I need to adjust the pattern (take some of the length out), and the top will fit better in the back.

The Lola top is incredibly easy to sew. I used my serger for the seams and I used a stretch twin needle for the hems and top stitching. It is entirely possible to sew the entire top on a sewing machine. 

I want to make this top again and again. Now that I have some of the pattern alterations figured out, I can't wait to make this pattern again.  Next time I will shorten the bodice back and maybe put the band on the bottom and add the pockets. I am hunting for fabric as we speak and can't wait to get this top to fit me perfectly!

Take care and sew long,

Sandi Knutie